Friday, March 9, 2018

Farrell's Ice Cream

By John Berry

Okay, I admit I am traveling bit from the Rosedale Park jurisdiction here with this article, but I really have fond memories of Farrell's Ice Cream as a kid, circa mid-1970s.  The one I recall was located at Telegraph and I-96.  The photos here, I think, were from my 8th birthday in mid-April 1979.  I remember that every kid wanted to go here for their birthday. I remember I begged and pleaded with my parents and uncles and aunts to have a party here and eventually got my wish.

What a place. I think I recall eating something called the Pig's Trough, some crazy large ice cream concoction. I remember having a hard time walking out of there after all of that ice cream that I ate. I also remember workers in 1920s style caps come running through the restaurant with stretchers and booming drums. What a place.

Considering that this happened 38 years ago, I still remember it vividly.  Here are some photos from the Detroit location at Telegraph in April 1979







The Badge You Got After

Boom Bday Drums
That crazy stretcher bit they did

2 comments:

  1. We had birthday parties there, as well. Fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. Brings back many memories. It was the place my mom would treat me to for good report cards back in the 80's. I loved the rock candy. It was also my favorite birthday destination. Great place.

    ReplyDelete

Memorial Day in the Rosedale Park Area

By John Berry As I think about Memorial Day, I wanted to call out a veteran who lost their life in the service of our country who came fro...