Monday, April 23, 2018

Rosedale Park International House of Pancakes

By John Berry

I remember vividly frequenting the International House of Pancakes located at 19505 Grand River in Rosedale Park, mostly in the late 1970s and early 1980s. My favorites were the chocolate chip pancakes and/or the hame and cheese omelette. It has long since gone, but it was a great place to eat and was always crowded.  I remember that this IHOP ran an NFL promotion on magnetic team helmets. I think I collected most of them.



Before IHOP, the location, according to newspapers, was a gas station in 1952 through to the building of the IHOP. A business called Garland's Speedway Service occupied the location in 1961-1962.

Traditional IHOP sign 1970s

The IHOP in Rosedale Park opened around 1967 and was part of a nationwide push to open IHOP restaurants.

1967 Hiring Ad
The last article I found showed that the location was in business as late as 1992. I moved out of the area in 1993 so I am uncertain when the location actually shut down.  Below are some more recent pictures of the location.  Apparently, the location became George's Restaurant for a period of time after that. The building appears (please comment if something has opened up) to be vacant right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Memorial Day in the Rosedale Park Area

By John Berry As I think about Memorial Day, I wanted to call out a veteran who lost their life in the service of our country who came fro...