Thursday, May 17, 2018

Olde Redford Police Station

This is a post about the Olde Redford Police Station, otherwise known as the 8th or 16th District of the Detroit Police Department. The station, which sat at the apex of McNichols and Grand River Avenue served much of Olde Redford and the Rosedale Park Area. I remember having a picnic lunch on the tables in front of the police station many years ago.  It was an interesting place to have a police district.

The population of the Rosedale Park area, along with Olde Redford increased to the point that it needed its own police station, so one was planned in the mid-1950s and dedicated as the 16th District in November 1, 1955 by former Detroit Mayor Louis C. Miriani. The station would ultimately serve the public for 50 years before it was closed.

2000 Photo - 8th District
Of note, the police station had a processing center for prisoners through the garage, a lobby, garage outdoor parking, locker rooms, jail cells and a shooting range in the basement.  I found two other websites with some historical photos of the station that can be found here and here.  One of the fascinating, or most fascinating aspects of the police station was the huge 8-ball with a horn sculpture that I always noticed. I always wondered who designed it, and where it went when the police station closed.  I looked around a bit and it appears to have been made in the early to mid-1970s as it was part of an Alex Pollack (Detroit City Planner) project completed with federal funding.  If anyone knows where the sculpture went please leave a comment.

The 8-ball (apparently a reference to the 8th District) was made to look like a rubber bulbed car horn that existed in early automobiles.  The number "8" was apparently painted on the sculpture after it was built. It must have built prior to 1984, because it was still the 16th District until that time.  I wonder if somebody still has the sculpture today. The 8th District was ultimately transformed into the 16th District in 1984 after a restructuring and a large layoff of police officers.  
The Police Cruiser 70s 80s at the District
I also remember this version of the Detroit police cruiser, in large numbers, always packed around the station on the Grand River Avenue side. Definitely a 1970s crustier.  Maybe I am misremembering, but it seemed like there were always scores of these types of cruisers parked at the station and all over the nearby streets during the late 1970s and early 1980s.  

Below is what the area where the station stood looks like today.  The 8th District was ultimately closed in 2005, cleaned up in May of 2013 by blight busters and eventually demolished in October of 2014.  Unfortunately, the City left just about everything in the station without cleaning it out, from criminal records to computers and all other types of equipment.  Apparently, many of the iron bars in the cells were taken by scrappers.  

The location is now occupied by a Metro PCS store, across from the Meijer Superstore that took over the Redford High School location.  It looks like the area has cleaned up a bit.  

Same Location - 2018
The 8th or 16th District station is no longer there, but I remember it well.  The new buildings are an improvement.

6 comments:

  1. I remember the station well. My dad was police officer at the 14th and transferred when the new precinct opened. I remember as a girl scout, being given a tour of the station and being put in a cell in the basement. Was scary at first but fun too. I took my driving test for my license at the 16th (that's how they did it then - with a cop in the car with you). The cop made me drive for what seemed like forever. I even had to go on the brand new Southfield freeway. I later found out that my dad asked them to make sure I knew how to drive before passing me. I have fond memories of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only correction I could make it that it was the 16th precinct then the 8th precinct. My dad was there during the transition and ultimately retired as head lieutenant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spent most of my life @ #16/#8 a lot of fond memories! We spruced up the precinct, landscaped the front of the building around 2000 with retaining wall and beautiful flowers,one of the officers was any artist and painted the mural inside of the garage for the commander and inspector,Fendt donated all the retaining wall and one of the police impound yards would donate the flowers every year for me to plant at that time the horn disappeared and the artist had a fit and with the great police work they found it and it was brought back to the precinct and the #8 was painted on the ball a special thank you to Commander Turnbull for making the precinct a better place and to Officer Brown for keeping the precinct up, you did an amazing job doing so!!! Very emotional when the precinct and Redford High were demolished�� For the jail cell @ #8 they went to auction and are now at the old #6th precinct@ McGraw and Braden were that precinct was sold and is being renovated to become Data behind bars another really awesome building which is haunted!!! The new owner is doing some great renovations to the building!!! That precinct has a gun range in the basement, a gym upstairs and another building that a lot of things were just left in the building when it was closed down!!! Sad times for the city!!! Looking forward to seeing the city as its coming back!!! WE NEED MORE POLICE PROTECTION!!! WITH PROPER POLICE PAY AND HEALTH INS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also wanted to mention to the very west of the property the tree was planted in the memory of Office Michael Scanlon,gone but not forgotten, may he R.I.P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember spending the night there some 40 years ago... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey John, I just learned about your blog from a friend and am exploring it now. It's kind of blowing my mind. I grew up in the area, not Rosedale Park so much, but the area around Stout and Fenkell. (Still trying to figure out if this is Brightmoor or Minock Park.) But I wanted to tell you about my new novel which takes place in this very area of Rosedale/Redford/Brightmoor. It's called Beautiful Music and it just came out May 1st with Akashic Books. It's a coming of age story about music and growing up in Detroit in the years after the violent summer of 1967. Here's some stuff about it from the publisher: http://www.akashicbooks.com/catalog/beautiful-music/ Anyway, in just reading your blog for the past half-hour, I've already run into all kinds of things that pop up in the book. Everything from Redford High to the Police Precinct with the crazy 8 ball sculpture to Ferrell's and so many other things. I think you might find it of interest. (Let me know if you'd like a review copy.) My website is michaelzadoorian.com. In the meantime, do you or anyone else remember the Toddle House on Grand River? It was a tiny coffee house with donuts, I believe. It's one of those things that I swear I remember but I haven't found any proof of it's existence. Thanks for this blog! mz

    ReplyDelete

Memorial Day in the Rosedale Park Area

By John Berry As I think about Memorial Day, I wanted to call out a veteran who lost their life in the service of our country who came fro...